POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : SOR, Lathe and Rounded Corners/Edges : SOR, Lathe and Rounded Corners/Edges Server Time
30 Jul 2024 00:20:44 EDT (-0400)
  SOR, Lathe and Rounded Corners/Edges
From: Mueen Nawaz
Date: 7 Dec 2004 19:42:38
Message: <41b64dfe$1@news.povray.org>
Hi,

	I wanted to create an object (bottle, in this case) that has rotational
symmetry about an axis. So an SOR or Lathe seemed like good choices.

	Consider a bottle. It's base is flat, but the edges of the base are
rounded and then go up vertically. As I wanted the roundness, I chose
not to use linear interpolation, and tried some of the other types.

	Getting it rounded was not much of a problem, but then I could not get
the "line" to go up vertically. To give you an idea as to what I mean, I
wanted the base to be of radius about 1. So I picked my base points at
(0,0), (0.95,0).

	Then I had a few points to curve it upwards. Let's say I ended up at
(1,0.05). Now I just want to go vertically up to about (1,4). How do I
do it? If I just put one point, it curves. I thought I could put a
number of intermediate points (1,1), (1,1.5), and so on, but that didn't
achieve the desired effect.

	In the end, I used a superellipsoid, with some CSG (better solution).
However, for future reference, is there any way I can get a vertically
edge using anything other than linear interpolation?

	In general, are there any tricks to dealing with rounded edges or
corners? A while ago I was trying to make a cube, but with rounded edges
and corners. The edges can be done with CSG, but it was somewhat of a
pain and the corners didn't work out...

Thanks,
--
Aim Low, Reach Your Goals, Avoid Disappointment.

                    /  \/  \ u e e n     /  \/  a w a z
                                    anl